Provide a Bright Star Scholarship
and give the lifelong gift of education
Education is a basic right. In countries like Liberia, where public schools are overcrowded, access to education is affected by income. If a student can't get into a public school private schools are their only option. This is where our Bright Stars scholarship program helps underprivileged children and young adults— with a commitment to learning—go to school.
How the Bright Star Scholarship Program Works
This program is open to the general public in Liberia and applications are accepted on a yearly basis. Acceptance is based on availability, need and merit. Students qualify for a Bright Star Scholarship passing an assessment test and achieving and maintaining their grade point average each year.
When you sponsor a student, you will receive:
1. A certificate with your scholar's name and picture within one month of your first donation.
2. A thank you letter from your scholar at the end of the school year. These are typically sent out in July or August via email or post.
3. An update on the scholarship program in November with a picture of your scholarship student.
4. Please note that we aim to keep scholars and donors together over the years, but scholars may change from year to year. All scholars sit an independent test administered by Universal Outreach each year. If they are unable to pass the test, they may be released from the program.
5. Many donors stay with their scholar long term. Once a student starts grade 8, their school fees increase. When this happens to your student, you will receive a notice from us asking you to change your donation to $60/month to ensure your scholar continues their education uninterrupted.
6. We have over 100 students in our program, some of whom are located a distance from our office. To keep administration costs reasonable and to act within our Vulnerable Persons Policy, we don't encourage letter exchanges between scholars and donors.
Elementary School and High School Scholars
As a student progresses into high school the cost of their tuition increases. To see a student through their elementary and high school years an increase in your donation is required for their last 5 years of school (grade 8-12) from $40/month for elementary school to $60/month for high school. Our program covers tuition and registration costs for the student.
Trades School Scholars
Students attend trades programs that last up to one year in length. Our program covers tuition, registration and tools. Your contribution can be set up as a monthly recurring payment of $75/month or a yearly donation of $900.
Degree programs are typically four years in length. If you are considering this scholarship option we recommend you plan for a four-year commitment to ensure your student finishes their degree. Your contribution can be paid as a monthly recurring payment of $150/month or a yearly donation of $1,800.
We recommend setting up your scholarship gift through a monthly donation. This can be done through our donation system by checking the box that says "Monthly" It's easy to do and convenient!
$40 monthly for an elementary school scholarship
$60 monthly for a high school scholarship
$65 monthly for a trades school scholarship
$150 monthly for a university scholarship
Consistency is important to the success of this program. If you choose to see someone through a University program we recommend that you start a monthly donation for 4 years so we can ensure the student has the support they need from start to finish. Helping someone for one year is truly a gift, but seeing them to completion changes their life.